STEM toys are one of the biggest trends in the world of kids toys. But do you know what they are and why they're great for your child's development?
Read on for the definition of a STEM toy and to find out why your child should be playing with them.
What is a STEM toy?
STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and STEM toys aim to inspire kids and help them develop skills in these disciplines from an early age.
You may also have heard the term STEAM toys, which stands for science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics.
STEM learning toys help kids develop key skills that will help them in a future career in the sciences, engineering, robotics, computing... The list goes on.
To be classed as STEM, a toy must fulfil these simple criteria:
- The toy must be linked to at least one of the four fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). Although the best STEM toys combine different fields.
- They must have a clear objective without limiting the children to a one-way solution.
A great example is the building block toys in the VELCRO® Brand Blocks range. Take the VELCRO® Brand Blocks T-Rex - this STEM building toy will inspire kids in the field of engineering and the goal is to build the T-Rex (although there are lots of different ways to build something out of the blocks.
How STEM toys help your child's development
STEM toys have many benefits for a child's early development that will continue to benefit them in later life. This list includes:
- They help develop motor skills
- They let children have fun while learning
- They encourage non-screen time
- They teach children problem-solving skills
- They teach children how to overcome challenges
- They prepare children for a career in innovation
Interested? If you think STEM toys would be a great choice for your child, check out the full range of VELCRO® Brand Blocks Toys here or stay on our blog to read more about the benefits of STEM learning toys!